How the Wisest Man on Earth Blew It: Ecclesiastes 2:10-11

Solomon learned something that all of us would be wise to learn too, and hopefully we'll learn it earlier than Solomon.

"You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing" (
Psalm 16:2).

Solomon, the wisest man on earth (1 Kings 4:30), wasted most of his life acquiring wealth, wives, and worldly pleasures (1 Kings 11). He was old before he discovered the truth his father David expressed in the verse above.

Solomon explained his foolishness in Ecclesiastes 2:10-11: "I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my labor, and this was the reward for all my toil. Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun." 

Despite his great wisdom, Solomon gave in to worldly temptations which damaged his life and his kingdom.

God isn't opposed to us enjoying life, but He doesn't want us doing it at the sacrifice of His purposes.

"For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do" (Ephesians 2:10).

So take some time today to consider your priorities and purposes in life.
 
💙💙💙
 
See How Ease and Privilege Ruined a King and From Wisdom to Foolishness which explains Solomon's main downfall.

If you've purchased the Wisdom for Life Devotional, I encourage you to read or re-read Day 97. It will add some additional insights to this devotion.
 
I also encourage you to sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes. Find out more HERE.

 

Solomon learned something that all of us would be wise to learn too, and hopefully we'll learn it earlier than Solomon.


Bible Love Notes

3 comments:

  1. "The value of any 'thing', is whether or not God is a part of it
    -Pascal Wager

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is a Lesson and a Blessing and we all have to go through this Process called Life. The Heavenly Father and Son and Genuis Holy Spirit are One.(Teacher) we have to want to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is love, trust and hope, without God life is meaningless and unworthy to live. Alleluia to the living God and his only begotten son our lord Jesus Christ. God Bless all who believes in him. Amen.

    ReplyDelete